Sunday, November 1, 2009

Luke's Locker Half Marathon Report

I have been really busy this week so it has taken me forever to get my race report together.
I had an excellent half marathon. I could not have asked for a better run. Last Thursday my friend Janelle emailed me asking me what my raceplan was. I had been thinking about my race plan but had not told anybody what it was for fear of them thinking I was crazy and not wanting any negative thoughts. I told her I hoped to break 3 hours. If it was a great day I would try for 2:50-2:55. Then I would shoot for 2:45 in the Houston Half Marathon in January.
Race morning I woke up and ate my yogurt and peanut butter sandwich. I went to the bathroom twice so I new it would be a great day! ;) I forgot I had drank the last of the coffee the day before so I called my friend who was picking me up and asked her to bring me a cup. Thanks Melissa!
I got to the race and was calmer than I had ever been. I wasn't nervous at all and that was totally different than any race before. I felt positive. I overheard another runner in my marathon training group tell someone that she was going to race this race slow and run with me. WHAT?!?!?!?! NOT COOL!!!! So now I was pissed.
I told my running partner Steph what was said as we lined up at the start and she calmed me down and reminded me that speed was relative to each person. We started off at a 12:30 pace which was fast for me and probably slow for Steph but I was able to keep the pace going throughout. I ran a good race staying with Steph through the last turnaround point before we seperated. She finished 1 min 30 sec ahead of me which was great for her because she is having a tough season. When I passed mile 12 I looked at my watch and realized I was going to break 3 hours and possibly shatter it so I took off.
Finish Time: 2:49:21
Previous Best Finish Time: 3:19
30 minute PR!!!! WOOHOO And the other runner who was going to run "slow" with me....she finished in 3:03. Hmmmm.....
After further deliberations with a lot of my running friends, I have decided to run the Houston full marathon and this will be the year I break 6 hrs for the marathon. My marathon PR is 6:44 at Austin in 2007. My best Houston Marathon finish time is 7:01.
What have I gotten myself into?!?!?!?! :)

No comments: