Thursday, April 2, 2009

Breakfast - Do or Don't

In my house, breakfast is required. And I'm not talking about a bowl of cold cereal. I get up early every morning to make Josiah breakfast before I go to work and he goes to school. It has been proven over and over that kids do better in school if they have eaten a good breakfast to start the day. Breakfast wakes up the brain. They also have better behavior when they have a full stomach.
This morning one of my coworkers and his wife dropped their son off at 5:45 am because they were leaving at 6:00 am with students from school on a trip. I was to drop their son off with Josiah at school. I told them last night not to worry about breakfast because I always cook and I would make sure he got a good breakfast also. His dad stated, "He will be so excited because we never cook breakfast."
When he came in this morning I had a hot breakfast of turkey bacon and cinnamon oatmeal ready for him to eat with Josiah. He said he had brought a snack for breakfast instead. He sat there and ate a chocolate and cream filled pop tart instead. WHAT?!?!?! That is what they let him eat in the morning?!?!?!That was fine with Josiah, he got an extra piece of bacon this morning.
So what do you think about breakfast???? And do you cook for your kids in the morning??? I get up at 4:45 so that I can make breakfast when we could do without and get up at 5:20. Hmmmm....I think I will keep making breakfast.

2 comments:

sassy stephanie said...

My kiddos eat a good bfast here or at school. Bfast is our fave meal. During the week, it is usually a quick bowl of REAL oatmeal and a boiled egg. On the weekends, I treat everyone to pancakes and eggs, turkey bacon or veggie sausage links. And of course, every now and then, a treat of cinnamon rolls.

June said...

Yeah, I make the real oatmeal and add cinnamon for flavor so Josiah will eat it. Oatmeal and turkey bacon are the breakfast of choice for Josiah right now on school days. Pancakes and eggs on the weekends.